Monday, May 21, 2012

Restless and the weekend dental dilemma...

This past weekend was exceptionally hectic for me - an upcoming job transition within Ernst & Young, the pending arrival of my son from school for the summer, performance reviews due at work - so you can imagine the last thing I was prepared to handle was a dental emergency.  But Murphy's Law being what it is, I shouldn't have been surprised when I went "dental floss -fishing" in my mouth Sunday night and hooked a beautiful porcelain crown - the same one my dentist had inserted about 12 years ago. Suddenly, all the other errands and priorities felt considerably less important. I'm proud of my redneck heritage, you understand - just not in a hurry to serve as the toothless poster child of my Southern brethren.



Thus began a frantic internet search to find salvation in my storm - the amazing folks at Dental TLC who have completely transformed my opinions and perceptions (not to mention eradicating my childhood fears) of visiting the dentist.  Now keep in mind my dental disaster occurred around 7pm on a Sunday evening - not the best time to catch your neighborhood dentist.  But the Dental TLC website has this great feature where you submit an email with your personal information, the nature of your problem, even preferred times to get in and get fixed.  I submitted the appropriate data then went about my business - trying delicately to chew on the other side of my mouth (it's actually harder than you might think - give it a try sometime...).
The ONLY place to go for your dental needs!
Lo and behold, like magic I get a phone call first thing Monday morning from Sarah, acknowledging my situation, expressing the appropriate balance of empathy and humor (great laugh, Sarah - you're a ROCKSTAR!), and getting me scheduled for 9am!  Of course I hung up the phone feeling like a celebrity, egotistically convinced that several less significant patients must have been bumped from their already-scheduled appointments to address my bicuspid crisis (I'm quite sure this isn't the case but WHO'S telling the story?) but simultaneously wowed that they would be so accommodating!  What can I say?  It's how they roll...

I arrived a few minutes early for my appointment and the front-desk team was ready and waiting for me.  Keri had me fill out the necessary forms (not a novel like you're used to at so many doctors' or dentists' offices - just two forms and both amazingly brief) and, at the appointed time, I was shown to my appointment room.  Allow me to pause momentarily for dramatic effect!!!  Let that sink in for a minute or two - the staff at Dental TLC had me in front of my dentist AT THE ACTUAL TIME I was scheduled.  I felt the need to run out for a lottery ticket or begin "crash-course repenting" of my sins...  Again, this is no ordinary dental practice.  And Dr. Abbott is no ordinary dentist.


Dr. Abbott - mad skills with a drill and oral cement...


He comes bounding in with his usual positive demeanor and cheerful personality - all smiles and jokes - and in a manner of minutes he has assessed my situation, offered a prompt and professional course of action, and begun to re-attach my crown. My only decision-making dilemma while comfortably seated was choosing either to watch television from the console built in to the ceiling to accommodate patients while horizontal (very cool feature, Dr. A!) or  to listen to music piped in from the noise-cancelling headphones offered to both calm my potentially troubled nerves and to cancel out the sound of drills, picks and other "unpleasant nasties" situated on the good dentist's workbench.  The other decision (and yet another reason these folks will be added to my will) was to select whether or not to receive laughing gas during the crown repair. For those not familiar, laughing gas is an incredible way to get through any dental procedure (even cleanings) and the folks at Dental TLC are expert at administering just the right level to keep the patient alert yet unfettered by the work being done.  Given that I've never used drugs, alcohol, or tobacco of any kind, this is my one chance to "walk on the wild side", to approach an out-of-body experience where the walls melt and the room spins...  So naturally, I politely asked for a "triple shot" (they smiled but didn't comply) and let my worries fade away...


And is that all?  Heavens no!  They finish the crown maintenance and ask if I'd like to go ahead and knock out a regular tooth-cleaning since I'm already in the office?!  I mean, seriously??!!  I'm probably now bumping at least a half-dozen other appointments  (I'm feeling like "Elton John celebrity status", mind you) so I graciously accept their offer and, in less than 90 minutes, I'm walking out the door, my "Russell Crown Affair" having been resolved, my teeth professionally polished and cleaned, and the folks at the office smiling and waving their goodbyes as I depart.


I would SO date any of these ladies - they're like a hug personified!


Thanks to the amazing staff at Dental TLC: Dr. Abbott, Dr. Patel, "Lisa the Hygienist", Casey and Amanda who attended to my every need, Diana who was so charming and pleasant I wanted to pay more than my actual bill, and - of course - to Sarah the Rock of my Gibraltar -that got me scheduled so quickly and, I remain convinced, bumped all those unsuspecting commoners to allow me this experience, and others who didn't directly assist but still waved or shouted "howdy".  All of them, directly or otherwise, helped me through a mini-ordeal and displayed the continued magic always provided with every visit, every procedure, every encounter.  I kid you not, I love these folks so much I actually consider not brushing my teeth JUST so I have a quick excuse to hurry back. Okay, maybe that's a bit of a stretch but I only exaggerate for the ones I love...




No comments:

Post a Comment