Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Begin at the beginning...

Every book begins with a word, every opera a note, every painting a stroke, every blog a...what?  How is it that I can be so full of words, things I want to express - and yet find myself struggling with how I want to kick this journey off!  Something witty, perhaps?  A joke, a funny quip, something catchy?  So many options and yet I must - holy crap, I'm monologuing already.  Oh well, readers, consider yourselves initiated...


Restless at Pebble Beach
Perhaps introductions are in order.  I'm Russell.  Yes, Russell the Recruiter.  Russell, the Restless Recruiter.  Has a nice ring, don't you think?  A more accurate description would be that I've spent the better part of my 17 year career married to my profession - which is corporate recruiting.  I love it, love everything about it - the hunt for talent, the engagement with incredible candidates - each different, each driven by separate motivations and passions, each offering unique challenges and skills - it's pretty awesome!  My professional life is immersed in social media, sourcing strategies, evaluation and assessment techniques, productivity metrics, requisitions, and other pretty cool stuff.  Still with me?  Good.


So why restless??  Well, for starters it's an "R" word.  I was looking for some symmetry in the title.  You know, slightly catchy, sort of rolls off the tongue.  More importantly, however, restless is a good descriptor of my life outside of recruiting.  The dictionary suggests:

  • never at rest
  • unceasingly active; averse to quiet or inaction
  • perpetually agitated; unquiet or uneasy (as a person, the mind, or the heart)
Wow, Websters' really nailed it!  Let's take 'em in order...


Never at rest...
I sleep 4 hours a night.  Period.  That tends to freak people out (especially my dates) - hell, it freaks me out.  I'm not sure when this started but it's been a pretty regular stitch in my fabric for years.  Must have something to do with everything in my head - work, my son's grades, my parents' health, why isn't Kate Beckinsale returning my texts...  It can be overwhelming.  Thus, I typically knock off around midnight and find myself staring at the ceiling fan above my bed by 4.  And then I have a choice - keep staring or do something.  Sounds...oh, I don't know...restless?


Unceasingly active
I'm constantly on the move, and incessantly seeking new activities and adventures.  Scuba diving, sailing, hitting Broadway, Saturday golf with the boys...I'm Carpe Diem personified.  I love travel, exploring new places, experiencing new cultures.  I've lived and worked on four continents (Asia, Europe, North America, and South America).  I also spent two years living and working in the Virgin Islands (I'd like to think of that as a fifth continent but the geology experts vehemently discount my assertion - they're just jealous).  I'm now dabbling in organic cooking, trying new workout programs, taking an underwater photography course...you feel me?  Okay - moving on...


Perpetually agitated...
Hmmm, where to begin?  This section could be a five-part mini-series (actor still TBD) but I'll try the condensed version.  I want to be in love and I'm not.  I'm a hopeless romantic and am looking for the "girl of my dreams".  Sounds simple enough, right?  Not so much.  My mother affectionately refers to me as the "kiss of death" - apparently referring to my shaky track record with women.  A girl actually approached her at church inquiring as to my availability.  Her response, and I quote... "Oh no, dear.  I don't think I should introduce you.  My son is the kiss of death."  Somebody want to take a stab at psycho-analyzing that train-wreck?  Thanks for the shot in the arm, ma!  Love ya'!  There's some background there.  That'll be in part 2 or 3 of the mini-series.  I'm screening actors for the lead.  Wait for it...


So, there you have it.  My first entry.  Not an awful start, certainly something to work with and build upon.  I'm sure there is a "blogger's bible" somewhere on-line - a compendium of useful "do's and dont's" for successful blogs.  Likely, I've broken three of the four cardinal rules and have failed before I've even really started.  Not to worry, I have an ironclad excuse.  I'm the kiss of death...    : )



No comments:

Post a Comment