Sunday, May 6, 2012

My take on Plato...

To understand my position on this particular entry we must begin with a quick overview of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.  If familiar, read on.  If not, click the following link:


With that out of the way, let me provide my own take on how so many among us fall victim to remaining chained in the proverbial cave when the wonderful outside world beckons us to see beyond the parameters of our understanding and comfort...

I've been blessed to travel - to live and work and play in places around the world.  I've eaten strange foods, been exposed to amazing cultures, music and people who live and operate in ways both strange to me yet fascinating.  I've seen the hand of God in our landscapes - the turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean, the hallowed peaks of the Alps, the serenity of snow-covered valleys in the Rockies, the dormant volcano of Tagaytay ensconced by a beautiful lake in the Philippines.  I've attempted to learn four languages (aside from English) in the hopes of communicating more thoroughly, more genuinely with the peoples I encounter.  And with all that, I feel I've barely scratched the surface.  My bucket-list runneth over - and the clock is ticking...

And then I meet or hear about people who have lived their entire lives without traveling outside the counties where they were born - whose entire universe is comprised of several small towns in a rural part of the country.  And not because they haven't the means to travel beyond these borders.  Instead, it's due largely to their lack of enthusiasm or interest in knowing more than what they do.  They're content with their miniaturized world - their reality television and People/Star magazines - their routine.  And it saddens me, not in a judgmental way but in the way Plato's escaped prisoner was saddened...

Believe me, I'm in no position to judge.  I imagine there are many ways I remain one of those chained prisoners without an understanding or appreciation of an expanding sense of perspective.  Maybe in politics? philosophy? relationships (sting)?  Have I truly stepped out of my cave and attempted to explore the possibilities that exist like those who show courage and take risk?  Have you?

The beauty of parables and allegories is the myriad of interpretations or "takeaways" that can be formed, largely driven by the capacity or nature of the reader.  You might watch the clip and see a completely different perspective - and that's the cool part!  But for me, I see the narrow-mindedness and intentional blindness of so many who choose to limit the boundaries of their universe and not allow the gift of seeing beyond the confines of their cave.  There's an amazing world out there!  Shake off the shackles of narrow-mindedness, routine, and isolationist thought and be amazed, be challenged, be touched by the beauty of variety and grow from it.  Dare to answer Robert Frost's challenge to take the road less traveled by - it will truly make all the difference...

1 comment:

  1. Some are small, and not ready for the world outside... They are confused, not only of things outside routine, but confused by the routine itself. You are ready to look farther, deeper. You have gained wisdom and confidence and trust yourself. These tools make discovery a joy. But as for others, some are small yet still, and the gifts of which you speak are so large they would be a burden rather than a gift....

    ReplyDelete