Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My new hobby/passion/obsession...

For those of you that don't know me so well, I lived in the US Virgin Islands (St. Croix) from 2007-2009 when I changed jobs to work for Stanford Financial Group.  Needless to say, working and living in the Caribbean is just one of those things that everybody should get to do at least once in their career.  I loved being Cruzan - even if just temporarily.  The food, the culture, the friendliness of the locals, and especially the pace.



As you've read from my earlier entries, I'm also a bit of a rolling stone - not one to sit around collecting dust (or is it moss?).  For a number of years, I've had a personal goal to try something new and a little "out there" each year.  So, naturally, finding myself in St. Croix made my choice relatively easy - I needed to try my hand at scuba diving.


I therefore threw myself into the needed preparations and research for this new adventure.  And let me tell you, it's not as simple as strapping on tank, mask and fins and giving it a go.  There's classroom preparation, study of water/pressure principles, safety concerns, precaution checks.  And that's a good thing because the last thing you want to feel when a problem occurs 100 feet below the surface or when facing a grinning shark is unprepared.


Unfortunately, my timing was off and I found myself leaving the island with only the classwork completed - not the actual dive training and certification.  So, of course, new resolution.  I vowed I would be certified and diving before Jan 1, 2011.  And, lo and behold, mission accomplished!  I haven't looked back since - it's my new obsession.


Since then, I've added the following certifications: Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air, Wreck Specialty, Boat Specialty and have plans to knock out Rescue, Night, and Underwater Photography this summer.  I've also booked an "all-about-me" vacation in the Bahamas where I'll spend eight glorious days on the live aboard, AquaCat - five dives a day including shipwrecks, diving with sharks, cave diving, night diving, basically "insert anything you can imagine" diving.  I'm counting the days.  And my 2012 resolution is to return from this trip a Master Diver - and then the fun really begins!


Why the obsession?  Hard to pick just one thing.  It's the thrill of exploring an entirely new environment, of seeing a part of the planet that's been there forever but is largely untapped.  It's the thrill and freedom of swimming through a underwater wreck - exploring passageways armed with a light and safety line; or venturing through an underwater cavern - marveling at the formations, the marine life, the brilliant colors. There's also the camaraderie of connecting with fellow diving enthusiasts - believe me, a FUN group of people to know.


I'm planning on buying a new underwater housing for my Nikon camera, followed by a light kit and ports to accommodate my different lenses.  This means I'll be able to marry my legacy passion - photography - with my latest one.  Color me excited!!!  


So, if you've been pining for a new adventure, an "off the beaten path" sorta thrill, check out diving - you'll be glad you did!!!


P.S.  Have to give a special shout out to all the staff and folks at SeaVentures Aquatic Center in Alpharetta, GA.  They continue to feed my obsession with incredible inventory, great training, expert maintenance and upkeep on my gear, and amazing trips to the Keys and my upcoming Bahamas trip in December.  So, to Claude, Ben, Marvin, Winston, Cat, and the rest of the gang:  I love you guys!!!   www.seaventures.com

2 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your pictures! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool!! Chris & I just certified in November. While I enjoy it, it still freaks me out a bit. Could definitely be because all my dives so far have been in the sound (cold & murky! I've been told that if you can dive in the Puget Sound, you can dive anywhere. Would love to see pics of your future adventures : )

    ReplyDelete