Thursday, November 1, 2012

Restless about being prepared...



By now we've all seen the devastating and life-changing impact of Hurricane Sandy to the northeast.  Images of houses washed away, millions without power, people stranded on rooftops or buried under a veritable mountain of snow - it's a sobering reminder of the fragility of our existence and the powers beyond our control that can instantly affect our lives.  Speaking of Sandy, I'd like to express my best wishes for a quick return to normalcy to those affected by this horrific storm.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Ever since I can remember, my parents impressed upon my siblings and I the importance of emergency preparation and having a plan in the event of a catastrophe or natural disaster.  To be honest, I paid little attention to their advice and admonition, always assuming I would be somehow insulated from these types of events.  Catastrophes were something I would see on the news taking place somewhere else.  Surely this couldn't happen to me - not here, not now...


I find myself thinking differently as I get older.  I guess the passage of time and serving witness to more tragedies like the recent hurricane are finally sinking in.  I don't want to find myself (or the people I love) in harm's way - without the basic needs and means to not only survive but to weather these hardships as comfortably as possible.  This means preparation.  This means having a plan.

I also imagine film and television have played a key role in changing my opinion and thought process on the need for preparation and planning.  Have you seen the TV series, "The Walking Dead" (nice transition, eh?)?  It's a very entertaining show about a catastrophic event leaving the majority of America ambling around as flesh-eating zombies.  Now I'm not suggesting this is the event I feel the need to prepare for but if you watch the show, an interesting sub-plot emerges.  The few human survivors that aren't affected (at least, not yet) by the "zombie gene" must scrape and scramble to survive - not only to escape the wandering hordes of undead - but also to find the basic necessities (food, water, medical supplies) needed to carry on.  And the individuals who society previously scoffed at (the redneck, motorcycle-riding hunters/fishers/woodsmen) are now those best-equipped to handle the dangers and priorities in the "New America".  It makes me stop and think that the skills and occupations of so many in this country will be ultimately fruitless if and when a total catastrophe does take place.  Many of those in professional services will find themselves ill-equipped to offer much value in the wake of a disaster unless they start now to focus on developing some additional skill-sets (first aid, basic construction & maintenance, auto-repair, living off the land, etc.).  It makes me think of other "survival movies" where those additional skills were so essential: "Castaway", "Defiance", "A Cry in the Wild", "Farewell to the King".  The message is simple - adapt and overcome or you'll find yourself pretty low on the Darwinian ladder.


I'm apparently not the only one to recognize this need and express interest in it.  Gary Strauss wrote an article this past summer for USA Today where he chronicled this growing interest in knowing how to survive...well...just about anything.  Here's a link to the article:  Survival shows are now the fittingest on television.  Knowing that TV puts out programming based on demand and interest, it would strongly suggest Americans have increased their appetite in survival topics.  (Nice to know we collectively care about more than just "Desperate Housewives" and "The Bachelor"in this country...)

So take note, readers.  The time to prepare is now.  Evidence and precedent surrounds us reminding of the importance to be ready for whatever lies around the corner.  Having an emergency food supply, access to clean drinking water, basic tools and medical supplies and the knowledge of how to use them appropriately, survival kits that are mobile and easily accessible, an emergency gathering plan with your family members of how to get reunited if an event occurs during the day when parents are at work/home and kids are at school - all critical topics that are important to think about and address while there's both time and opportunity and occasion to do so.

Just remember, readers.  Those zombies are practically around the bend.  And they have no intentions of taking time off.  Will you be ready?  : )



No comments:

Post a Comment